The OISS's ability to issue I-20s and DS-2019s are based on Tulane University's I-17 (Petition for Approval of School for Attendance by Nonimmigrant Student), which designates us as a SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program) Certified school. Regulations require SEVP-certified institutions to report any changes to the Form I-17. To learn more about this particular process click here.
Below you will be able to review the training materials and forms for specific information on admitting international students at Tulane.
International Student Admissions Training Workshop Materials
International Admission Process Overview:
- International student is admitted.
- Department/undergraduate admissions verifies that admitted student meets international degree-seeking or exchange student admission criteria.
- Department enters data into Banner and provides OISS with supporting documentation (J-1 students' banner info is also provided to OISS on a paper FADF form).
- OISS issues I-20 or DS-2019 for the admitted student and prepares a packet of information, including a welcome guide.
- Some departments pick up the I-20 or DS-2019 packet from OISS, and mail it to the student (express mail is preferable and, sometimes, necessary depending on the country.) Otherwise, OISS will mail the packet directly to the student.
General Requirements for Issuance of Immigration Documents
Admitting departments/schools must have a standardized process for verifying:
- Proof of financial support
- English language proficiency
- Foreign credential verification (degree-seeking students)
In addition to the above, OISS also needs the following in order to issue the immigration document:
- Passport copy
- Physical foreign address (no P.O. Boxes)
- Immigration record transfer (if already in the U.S.)
- Information in Banner (F-1) or on FADF form (J-1).
Departments must allow the OISS at least one week (or longer during peak admissions periods) for the issuance of the immigration document. You may read through the Training Workshop Materials above or contact one of the advisors below for more information.
Tulane University F-1 Student Admissions
Foreign Admissions Data Form Instructions for F-1 Students
F-1 Admissions contact: Belinda Schneider, firstname.lastname@example.org
Tulane University J-1 Student Admissions
Foreign Admissions Data Form for J-1 Students
J-1 Admissions contact: Beth Nazar, email@example.com