International Student Orientation for First-Year and Transfer Undergraduate International Students
Orientation includes various sessions and social activities to prepare you for life at Tulane University:
- All new degree-seeking students with F-1 or J-1 immigration status are required to attend the two orientations (ISO and NSO) from August 19- August 23, including TU Advantage students as well as any students transferring to Tulane University from other U.S. schools. Please plan accordingly and make sure you attend the required OISS International Student Orientation.
- Other international undergraduate students (non-F-1/J-1) are invited but not required to attend OISS International Student Orientation on August 18 and 19. (See below.)
- U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents who grew up abroad are invited to attend OISS International Student Orientation on August 18 and 19. (See below.)
- Parents/family members are encouraged to attend the specific family programs offered during the week.
2020 International Student Orientation Schedule
MONDAY, AUGUST 17
Move in Day for International Students
TUESDAY, AUGUST 18
OISS and other campus partners have organized a day to welcome you to Tulane University. We will show you the uptown campus, provide orientation for your parents and families, as well as offer Success Workshops to allow you to meet other students and dig deeper into topics that will prepare you to have a safe and successful time at Tulane. We will end the afternoon with a Connect Fest, to offer another change to meet people, but also on and off campus resources and a special Roommate Meetup for those students who are still trying to finalize housing or find a roommate. Please join us!
Full OISS Welcome Schedule
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 19
International Student Orientation
(For all new international undergraduate degree seeking students)
OISS Orientation is a special program designed to cover all of the information that you, as an international student, need to know, whether this is your first time in the U.S. or you have studied here already. OISS and campus partners will provide you with information about health, safety emergency preparedness, OISS and the services we provide, transportation and cultural adjustment. The orientation also provides a wonderful opportunity for you to meet other international students and it is a great way for you to begin your Tulane experience.
New Student Orientation takes place August 19- August 23. All new undergraduate students are required to attend.
Classes begin on Monday, August 24. Programming for new and returning students continues throughout the first few weeks of classes with the Fall Welcome Program.
International student success at Tulane University begins with orientation! It is designed to help you:
- Adjust to academic and social life at Tulane;
- Comply with government regulations pertaining to your stay in the U.S;
- Learning about on and off campus resources and support services;
- Learn how to navigate the campus;
- Become comfortable with the local community and U.S. culture; and
- Meet people and make friends from around the world.
Studies show the benefits of participating in orientation programs. Faculty members and advisors see a marked difference in the preparedness and success of students who have participated in orientation.